Saturday, January 8, 2011

Seeing and Reading

This is a project that I did earlier in the year and wasn't that pleased with it, since I didn't get to experiment much on the typography area. So I've decided to rework it and finally got around with it. This is the previous poster that I handed in - I used one of Rachel Whiteread's pattern work as a template for the poster. It was very simple, at that point I wanted to express the idea that most of Rachel Whiteread's work are about sculpture and through the repetition of pattern, somehow a 3D image is created.
This is an improvement of the poster. I played around more with the idea of legibility, but at the same time consider the visual aspect. To do this, I considered the title "I am not here" being invisible thus I decided to experiment with the idea of erasing some parts of the letters and consider at which point it will still be legible as a letter. Also 'overlaying' all texts onto the background gave another layer to the poster - making the bookshelf seemed to be popping out and the texts acts as a wallpaper.

More Development... (Final)

Typography has never been my strongest area. When it comes to inventing a new kind of type, I had to do more experimentation than usual.
By cropping off some parts of a letter - making it just enough to notice what letter it is, the notion of seeing and reading simultaneously is confronted - to which extent it is still readable as letters. The idea of positive and negative space is used to closely relate to the meaning of the title 'I am not here'

No comments:

Post a Comment