Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Marks & Spencer and Medusa

This was a follow up from the previous graffiti research. After the offsite visit, we developed our chosen theme further.
Since I chose graffiti as my topic, I researched on different artists, the typeface that people had created, and then did some brainstorming of what I think a city is made of.
During the research, I discovered that nowadays, many companies hire graffiti artists to design their logos to expand their business. Upon this discovery I realised that a city is made up of businesses - in other words - shops.
For further research, I went to Covent Garden to do some primary research on shops. I focused on one particular street, and collected some flyers that some shops give away and plastic bags.
From all of that research, Marks & Spencer's logo piqued my interest and so I did some brainstorm of what the logo looks like. I found out that one of the fundamental objectives of M&S is to help the economic development of Israel. Having thought of Israel and its background, it made me realise how Israel has so many aid from all different sources, and one of them are United States. These two countries have a very strong bond, United States often provided the first aid to Israel. Even though United States intention of helping Israel might be a good thing at the beginning but they're suffering from all sorts of crisis now; recession.
Medusa also started in good shape - a beautiful young woman but she was cursed at some point for something that Poseidon did to her (ravished her in the temple of Athena).
Both Medusa and M&S were what I called "cursed" for something that they didn't do. Since I was trying to alter the logo, to give it a twist in its meaning, thats why I've decided to use snakes to represent the logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment